REDONDO BEACH, Calif., Jan. 24, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- The sixth Tracking and Data Relay Satellite (TDRS), built for NASA by Northrop Grumman Corporation (NYSE:NOC), marked 20 years of successful on-orbit performance Jan. 13, surpassing its design life by a decade.
Photos accompanying this release are available at http://media.globenewswire.com/noc/mediagallery.html?pkgid=16839
Placed into orbit by the space shuttle Endeavour (STS-54) in 1993, TDRS Flight 6 has provided a multitude of communications services to a wide variety of missions, such as transmitting stunning images from the Hubble Space Telescope to Earth, and delivering pictures, television, voice and data from the International Space Station.Northrop Grumman's Aerospace Systems sector built the first generation of seven TDRS spacecraft at its Space Park facilities in Redondo Beach. TDRS-6 is currently in geosynchronous orbit in a location over the Atlantic Ocean above Brazil, according to NASA.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV