Lisa H. asks: "What is your outlook for Threshold Pharmaceuticals (THLD) in pancreatic cancer now that Celgene (CELG) has underwhelmed with Abraxane results? I think this is good for Threshold. Do you agree? Appreciate your response."
Celgene left the door open for a competing pancreatic cancer drug or regimen, so that's a plus for Threshold. Were the Abraxane data underwhelming? I don't think that's necessarily true.
As reported Tuesday, Abraxane plus gemcitabine yielded a median overall survival of 8.5 months compared to 6.7 months for gemcitabine alone -- a 1.8-month or 8-week survival benefit that was highly statistically significant. The result was either in line or on the low end of expectations, depending on whom you talk to.
Median overall survival is easy to understand, but it's not the best way to measure a cancer drug's overall efficacy. Median means middle, so with median overall survival, you're getting a snapshot from a small slice of patients enrolled in the study.Better to look at the study's hazard ratio, which compares the benefit of an experimental drug to its control over the entire trial. A hazard ratio of 1 in a survival trial means no benefit for a drug over its control. Overall survival is the same. What you're looking for is a hazard ratio less than 1, with a smaller hazard ratio equating to a larger survival benefit. The overall survival hazard ratio in Celgene's Abraxane pancreatic cancer trial is 0.72. There's nothing underwhelming about that result.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV