Another under-$10 name that's trading close to triggering a major breakout trade is Axcelis Technologies (ACLS), which designs, manufactures and services ion implantation, dry strip and other processing equipment used in the fabrication of semiconductor chips in the U.S., Europe and Asia. This stock has been on fire during the last six months, with shares up a whopping 55%.
If you take a look at the chart for Axcelis Technologies, you'll notice that this stock is exploding higher today right above some near-term support at $1.23 a share with decent upside volume. The volume so far this morning has registered 299,000 shares, which is just below its three-month action of 326,097 shares. This sharp move higher is quickly pushing shares of ACLS within range of triggering a major breakout trade.
Market players should now look for long-biased trades in ACLS if it manages to break out above some near-term overhead resistance levels at $1.40 to $1.45 a share and then once it takes out some past overhead resistance at $1.51 a share with high volume. Look for a sustained move or close above those levels with volume that registers near or above its three-month average action of 326,097 shares. If that breakout triggers soon, then ACLS will set up to re-test or possibly take out its next major overhead resistance levels at $1.84 to $2.04 a share. Any high-volume move above $2.04 will then put $2.75 into focus for shares of ACLS.Traders can look to buy ACLS off any weakness to anticipate that breakout and then simply use a stop that sits just below some near-term support levels at $1.23 to its 50-day at $1.19 a share. One could also buy ACLS off strength once it takes out those breakout levels with volume and then simply use a stop that sits right around $1.40 to $1.30 a share.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV