Turnitin Releases Website Evaluation Rubric To Analyze And Grade Sources In Student Papers
OAKLAND, Calif., Jan. 24, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Turnitin, the global leader in originality checking and online grading, today announced a website evaluation rubric to teach students how to analyze and grade the academic quality of the Internet sources used in their writing. The development of The Source Educational Evaluation Rubric (SEER) is in response to recent studies finding that students over-rely on Internet-based sources with questionable academic value.
Turnitin worked closely with educators to design SEER, which is built on five criteria: Authority, Educational Value, Intent, Originality, and Quality. SEER was field tested by secondary and higher education instructors who evaluated over 300 of the most popular sources used by students.
"SEER is a tool I can use to open the discussion with students about evaluating sources and to stress the importance of using quality sources in academic writing," said Danielle Harris, teacher at Champlin Park High School and a SEER field tester. "I think SEER is a brilliant idea that will help students become better writers."
Turnitin is sponsoring two free webcasts focusing on improving student research techniques that will introduce and review SEER with educators:
- "What's Wrong with Wikipedia? Evaluating the Sources Used by Students" will present the evolution of SEER and recommendations for putting the rubric into practice. Registrants will receive access to an interactive PDF of SEER to use as an instructional tool with students. Register at: http://pages.turnitin.com/WC_013113_register.html
- "Grading the Top 100 Student Sources" will apply the SEER model to the most popular sources that secondary and higher education students use and provide suggestions on how to better guide students in conducting appropriate research online. Register at: http://pages.turnitin.com/WC_020713_register.html
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts