The Series B Preferred Shares may be redeemed by the Fund with 30 to 60 days prior notice at the liquidation preference of $50.00 per share plus any accumulated and unpaid dividends at any time on or after March 26, 2014.
A portion of a distribution may be treated as qualified dividend income for individuals, subject to the maximum federal income tax rate, which is currently 20% in taxable accounts for individuals. Short-term capital gains, qualified dividend income, and ordinary income, if any, will be allocated on a pro-rata basis to all distributions to preferred shareholders for the year. The final determination of the sources of all distributions in 2013 will be made after year end and can vary from the quarterly estimates. Furthermore, effective for taxable years beginning on or after January 1, 2013, a new 3.8% Medicare contribution tax is now imposed on the “net investment income” of certain individuals whose income exceeds certain threshold amounts, and of certain trusts and estates under similar rules. Net investment income generally includes for this purpose dividends, including any capital gain dividends paid by the Fund, and net capital gains, if any, recognized on the sale or exchange of the Series B Preferred Shares. All shareholders with taxable accounts will receive written notification regarding the components and tax treatment for all 2013 distributions in early 2014 via Form 1099-DIV.
The GDL Fund is a non-diversified, closed-end management investment
company with $424 million in total net assets whose investment objective
is to achieve absolute returns in various market conditions without
excessive risk of capital. The Fund is managed by Gabelli Funds, LLC, a
subsidiary of GAMCO Investors, Inc. (NYSE:GBL), which is a publicly
traded NYSE listed company.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV