Check out Jim Cramer's latest trading recommendations on "Action Alerts Plus".
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Is Microsoft (MSFT) your father's and grandfather's growth stock? Jim Cramer told Debra Borchardt at TheStreet Thursday the markets are re-evaluating the multiples given to stocks like Microsoft and Apple (AAPL), a stock which he owns for his charitable trust, Action Alerts PLUS, and the new multiples are far less than in the past.
Cramer said with Apple trading at 8.6 times earnings with a 17% growth rate, it's hard to see how Microsoft, trading at 8.2 times earnings with just a 9.5% growth rate, can justify its valuation. He said for the younger generation of investors, stocks like Microsoft aren't viewed as the hot growth stocks that they must own. Instead, stocks like Amazon (AMZN) and Netflix (NFLX) currently hold those titles.
So what is a fair value for Microsoft? Cramer said he thinks the stock could bump up between $1 to $3 a share, but it could also lose $1 while the market trying to put a new value on stagnated growth.To sign up for Jim Cramer's free Booyah! newsletter, with all of his latest articles and videos, please click here. -- Written by Scott Rutt in Washington. To email Scott about this article, click here: Scott Rutt Follow Scott on Twitter @ScottRutt or get updates on Facebook, ScottRuttDC
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV