GRAND RAPIDS, Mich., Jan. 24, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Steelcase Inc. (NYSE:SCS) today released its 2012 Corporate Sustainability Report. Titled "+Promise," the report details the company's efforts to incorporate responsible business practices, as well as its commitment to contribute to the social, economic and environmental conditions necessary for people to reach their full potential. This is the most comprehensive CSR report the company has produced to date.
"We're proud to release our latest CSR report. We see this as an authentic action to make transparent our commitment to sustainability," said Jim Hackett, president and CEO of Steelcase Inc. "The celebrations surrounding our recent centennial anniversary heavily considered the prospect of existing yet another 100 years. We realize that the footprint of how we behave is permanent and while perfection is difficult to attain, the employees of our company are intensely passionate about doing an outstanding job in the area of sustainability."
The 2012 Corporate Sustainability Report provides a synthesis of policies, stories, key performance indicators, and global practices as well as conveys the social performance-- within the company's business and in communities around the world. Highlights from the +Promise 2012 report include:
- 37% reduction in greenhouse gas emissions between calendar year (CY) 2006 and 2011
- 54% reduction in water consumption between CY 2006 and 2011
- 23% reduction in waste between CY 2006 and 2011
- 53% reduction in VOCs between CY 2006 and 2011
- 25% (equivalent) of U.S. electricity usage came from Wege Wind Farm
- Millions of dollars were donated by Steelcase and The Steelcase Foundation to support communities where we live and work
- 5,361 volunteer service hours were donated by employees globally