Safeway (SWY) shares lifted nearly $1 on Wednesday, to close at $19.85 and options volume was five times the daily average on speculation that Canadian wholesaler Metro may seek either a grocery or pharmacy acquisition and SWY's Canadian unit may be one of several prospects. Calls outpaced puts by a margin of nearly 10-to-1 (52K calls vs. 5800 puts), and the most actives were March 20 and 21 calls with implied option volatility higher by 10% in that term. Call OI increased by 35000 contracts to 92K total.
Nabors Industries (NBR) saw an afternoon spike to $16.94 and is up $0.53 to $16.53 in active trading of 14.8 million shares after activist investor Paplona Capital disclosed an 8.8% stake in the company. 20,000 calls and 4,270 puts traded on the oil driller with February 16, 17 and 18 calls leading the action and 30-day implied volatility spiking to nearly 37% from 32% earlier in the week.
Clothing maker Chico's (CHS) is seeing elevated call volume for the third straight day as shares lift nearly 3% to $18.13, the upper third of the $11.41-19.64 52-week range. Flow yesterday was dominated by May 18 call buyers paying $1.25 for nearly 2400 contracts when shares were near $17.61, and today we see the same contract trading, with buyers paying up to $1.50 for another 3000, marked opening customer buyer according to ISE data.
Zynga (ZNGA) is seeing February 2.5 call buyers this morning with shares near $2.45. The stock has not recovered much from the lows set late last year, nor have they followed Facebook's (FB) recovery, and with earnings due February 5, the buyer may be looking for a bounce.
OptionsProfits can be followed on Twitter at twitter.com/OptionsProfits.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Jim Cramer's Protégé, Dave Peltier, only buys Stocks Under $10 that he thinks could potentially double. See what he's trading today with a 14-day FREE pass.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV