The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society And Avella Specialty Pharmacy To Present Free Event On Oral Chemotherapy Drugs
PHOENIX, Jan. 24, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- The Arizona Chapter of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society and Avella Specialty Pharmacy announce they will present a day of discussion about the latest advancements, trends and management of oral chemotherapy medications. The free event will take place on Feb. 9, from 10:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m., at SkySong, the ASU Scottsdale Innovation Center, 1475 N. Scottsdale Road, Scottsdale.
Local hematology/oncology community members will provide in-depth presentations on oral chemotherapy drugs including current trends, compliance and medication management. The event will feature two breakout sessions – one for nurses wherein they can earn complimentary CE credits and the other track for cancer patients and their families – as well as a town hall-style session featuring several local experts.
"More than 35 percent of the 400 cancer drugs in the pipeline are oral chemotherapy drugs. They clearly are the wave of the future," stated John Musil, Pharm.D., founder and CEO of Avella. "However, with so many breakthroughs, it's difficult for patients to stay on top of all of them. Our partnership with The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society aligns with our mission of optimizing patient health by educating healthcare professionals and patients on these advancements. Our hope is to provide similar discussions throughout the year as there is a growing need for this type of education."
Healthcare professionals will learn about current oral chemotherapy drug trends, compliance and best practices on how to provide adequate patient surveillance and support. Eric Sredzinski, Pharm.D., AAHIVE, Pharmacy Program Director, ADAP at Avella will lead this session. Continuing education credit will be provided to nurses.The patient breakout session will focus on the importance of adhering to oral chemotherapy drug treatment regimens, overcoming challenges of medication management and tips on successfully completing a medication schedule. This session will be led by Jodi Pelusi, PhD, FNP, AOCNP, Arizona Oncology – US Oncology. Attendees will receive a free lunch. The event will conclude with a town hall question and answer session for all attendees. Panelists will include:
- Jeffrey Schriber, MD, FRCP, Cancer Transplant Institute
- Denice Gibson, RN, MSN, CRNI, AOCNS, Cancer Transplant Institute at Virginia G Piper Cancer Center
- Andrea Montoya, Certified Physician Assistant, Celgene
- Jodi Pelusi, PhD, FNP, AOCNP, Arizona Oncology – US Oncology
- Roxanne Parker, RN, MSN, CPN, Arizona Oncology – US Oncology
- Eric Sredzinski, Pharm.D., AAHIVE - Avella Specialty Pharmacy
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV