Marian Wright Edelman To Join March On Washington For Gun Control
President, Children's Defense Fund to Speak on Need to Protect Children, Not Guns
WASHINGTON, Jan. 24, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Marian Wright Edelman, president of the Children's Defense Fund, will join the silent march on the National Mall on Saturday, January 26 , along with thousands, to call on members of Congress and state legislators to pass common sense gun safety laws. Grassroots groups of concerned citizens are coming together in the wake of the massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Ct. including parents, pastors, gun violence survivors, law enforcement officers, elected officials, child advocates and others who want what most Americans want.
Most Americans, according to a new Gallup poll, support universal background checks, a ban on assault weapons and limiting ammunition magazines to 10 rounds or less along with other proposals from President Obama's Plan to Reduce Gun Violence which aligns with the Children's Defense Fund's Federal Policy Agenda: Ensure Every Child a Safe Start.
Newtown residents, the District of Columbia's Congresswoman Eleanor Holmes Norton, Mayor Vincent Gray, Councilmembers David Grosso, Kenyan McDuffie and Tommy Wells and Marian Wright Edelman will lead the march carrying a banner that reads, "When we stand together, we stand a chance."Speakers Include:
- Marian Wright Edelman , president, Children's Defense Fund
- Congresswoman Eleanor Holmes Norton ( Washington, D.C.)
- U.S. Representative Chris Van Hollen (D-Md.)
- The Very Rev. Dean Hall , Washington National Cathedral
- Rev. Dean Snyder , senior pastor, Foundry United Methodist Church, Washington, D.C.
- Rev. Delman Coates , Ph.D., senior pastor, Mt. Ennon Baptist Church, Clinton, Md.
- Virginia Tech massacre survivor Colin Goddard
- Shannon Watts , founder of One Million Moms for Gun Control
- Meghana DeSale , Northeast regional director, Doctors for America
- Marty Isaac , president, Connecticut Against Gun Violence
- Kathleen Turner , Hollywood actress
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV