Health Group Asks Women To "Go Red" Every Monday
Healthy Monday offers 52 weekly tips on Facebook.com/HealthyMonday and Twitter.com/HealthyMonday to help individuals take small steps towards a healthier lifestyle.
This week, get started with these 10 tips for staying heart healthy during Go Red Mondays and throughout the year:
- Really quit this time. Smoking is one of the most significant risk factors for heart disease, so commit to Quit & Stay Quit every Monday.
- Boost the exercise you get each week -- form a Monday Mile club with your friends. Wear red accessories to signal your support for heart health.
- If you drink, do so in moderation. Research suggests that the occasional glass of red wine can be beneficial to heart health.
- If you need to lose weight, even a 5-10% reduction can improve your overall health. Keep a food journal-- a red notebook!-- and check your progress every Monday.
- Cut the saturated fat in your diet, decreasing your risk of heart attack and stroke. Cut back by starting the week with a Meatless Monday.
- High-fiber diets can lower cholesterol, blood pressure, body weight, and a lower risk of diabetes and heart disease. Get 25 grams per day -- fill up on apples, strawberries, tomatoes, whole grains, beans and nuts.
- Limiting sodium helps prevent high blood pressure. Check food labels, tie a red ribbon around your salt shaker so you think twice before using.
- Minimize stress as it can lead to health problems like high blood pressure. Come up with a plan at the start of each week to limit tense situations.
- Remind yourself to take action each week by sticking a Go Red dress pin on your jacket, hat, handbag, or wherever you will see it most frequently.
- Understanding your risk factors is one of the keys to preventing heart problems. If you haven't been to the doctor in the past year, make an appointment this Monday. While you're there, ask your doctor to support Go Red by wearing a red dress pin on his or her coat or lapel. And, pass these tips on to two friends.
Healthy Monday is an initiative of The Monday Campaigns, a nonprofit organization founded in 2005, in association with Johns Hopkins, Columbia and Syracuse Universities. Healthy Monday uses weekly recommitment campaigns to help people stop smoking, lose weight, stick with an exercise program and adopt other healthy behaviors and lifestyle changes.
Other initiatives of The Monday Campaigns include Meatless Monday, The Kids Cook Monday, Move It Monday, Quit & Stay Quit Monday, Caregiver Monday, and Man Up Monday.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV