TEMPLE TERRACE, Fla., Jan. 24, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- The first of nine electronics recycling rallies to be held at Verizon facilities around the country this year kicked off on Thursday ( Jan. 24) at the company's Temple Terrace facility on E. Telecom Parkway. Similar events held by Verizon in 2012 collected more than 531,000 pounds of e-waste -- about the equivalent weight of 14 charter buses -- that was recycled and kept out of landfills.
Recycling rallies, which enable employees and members of the surrounding community to conveniently recycle household electronics items ranging from laptops to toasters to monitors, are part of Verizon's broad commitment to help protect and preserve the environment. Verizon's recycling rallies operate with a zero-landfill goal, meaning the materials will be reused or recycled so that they do not end up in a landfill.
"E-Waste can be tricky, so we're making it easy and convenient for our employees and people in many of the communities we serve to dispose of electronics in an environmentally friendly manner," said James Gowen, Verizon's chief sustainability officer. "By opening up our recycling rallies to the public, Verizon was able to offset the equivalent of 828 tons of CO2 last year alone. It's a valuable service, but it also helps raise awareness of environmental practices that can be easy to adopt but impactful."
The Verizon locations hosting recycling rallies later this year include Albuquerque, N.M.; Wilmington, N.C.; Charleston, S.C.; and Ashburn, Va.Recycling Is an Integral Part of How Verizon Does Business Verizon's comprehensive sustainability strategy encompasses the company's entire operation, from energy consumption to product packaging, to providing energy solutions to businesses and consumers. Recycling is an integral part of the company's sustainability efforts.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV