NEW YORK, January 24, 2013 /PRNewswire/ --
Norwegian offshore driller Seadrill (NYSE:SDRL) [ Full Research Report] (1), known for its high dividend yield stock, has secured itself for further growth in the future after announcing its plans to introduce 22 newbuilds into its current fleet of 48 drilling units over the next two years.
In addition, Seadrill has a record high revenue backlog of $19.7 billion and has earnings visibility as markets from all asset classes are improving. Motley Fool expects the company to add to its backlog up until next year as 2014 newbuild deliveries start to contract out. At present, it has a diverse asset base of 24 drillships & semi-submersibles, 21 jack-up rigs and 21 tender rigs.
The company also improved its access to capital and asset mix by floating its master limited partnership division, Seadrill Partners. In addition, they managed to increase its stake in Asia Offshore Drilling at 66.16 percent after failing to secure the purchase. It now owns twice as much of the company, expanding the company's position in the shallow-water sector of the offshore drilling industry.Seadrill announced the sale of its tender rig division to Malaysian oil and gas firm SapuraKencana for $2.9 billion, including $363 million in remaining capital expenditures on the company's newbuild tender rigs, $187 million in a seller's note, and $350 million worth of new shares of SapuraKencana. The company will also assume the debt Seadrill's tender rig division, which is at $800 million. A report from Seeking Alpha says pushing for an acquisition rather than build new rigs, which could take at least two years, would make better sense for Seadrill. Aside from that, shipyards can only build so many rigs at one time, considering constraints on space, manpower, equipment and other resources.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV