New research shows that despite the adoption of mobile devices and the use of personal mobile applications in the workplace, organizations are not moving fast enough to develop and deploy mobile applications for staff, customers and partners. As a result, companies are missing out on the business advantages and creating a so-called “App Gap.” The study of enterprise IT organizations worldwide was conducted by independent market research firm, Vanson Bourne, and was sponsored by global software company Progress Software Corporation (NASDAQ: PRGS).
“The App Gap”
The Vanson Bourne study, conducted between December 2012 and January 2013, found that 95% of the 600 organizations surveyed have employees who use personal mobile devices and applications for work and who trust that mobile technology will improve business outcomes. In fact, 92% believe that adopting mobile apps will not only give them a competitive edge but that failure to do so will also put them at a competitive disadvantage. Despite the proliferation of mobile devices, application use and beliefs that mobile technology will benefit business , only around a quarter (29%) has already begun a formal mobility project, though 42% plan to do so in the next year. In addition only around half (51%) of organizations interact with their employees using mobile apps and even fewer (45%) use mobile apps to interact with customers. As organizations make plans to fill the App Gap, they face some roadblocks. According to the research, perceived risks to implementing formal mobility strategies include security (54%), the additional investment required (48%) and the need for ongoing support (47%).
In addition, more than half of companies (56%) are concerned that they lack the skills to develop an appropriate application and application interface across a myriad of mobile devices and platforms.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV