BALTIMORE ( Stockpickr) -- A big miss from Apple (AAPL), Congressional can kicking and China's economic numbers are sure to keep investors on the edges of their seats this morning. But as headline risk (good and bad) sneaks back into stocks, investors need to make sure they're not missing the forest for the trees.
Yes, Apple's "miss" is a big deal (we'll get to that in a moment). And yes, so is the House's ability to pass a budget bill without waiting until taxpayers' necks are on the chopping block. Even Asian market anxiety over China manufacturing data is significant. But the technical factors are ultimately what's ruling Mr. Market right now.
The S&P 500 pushed on to new 52-week highs for yet another consecutive day yesterday, extending the rally in stocks to within grabbing distance of 1,500. That doesn't mean we'll see that major barrier get taken out this week -- rallies need corrections along the way to stay healthy, after all. But it does bode extremely well for stocks in 2013.And this rally is also setting the stage for big moves in a handful of individual names right now. Today, we'll take a technical look at five of the biggest. If you're new to technical analysis, here's the executive summary. >>5 Rocket Stocks to Buy for a Q1 Rally Technicals are a study of the market itself. Since the market is ultimately the only mechanism that determines a stock's price, technical analysis is a valuable tool even in the roughest of trading conditions. Technical charts are used every day by proprietary trading floors, Wall Street's biggest financial firms, and individual investors to get an edge on the market. And research shows that skilled technical traders can bank gains as much as 90% of the time. Every week, I take an in-depth look at big names that are telling important technical stories. Here's this week's look at the charts of five high-volume stocks to trade for gains. >>5 Stocks Ready to Break Out
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV