GATX Corporation (NYSE:GMT) today reported 2012 fourth quarter net income of $29.7 million or $.62 per diluted share, compared to net income of $31.6 million or $.67 per diluted share in the fourth quarter of 2011. The 2012 and 2011 fourth quarter results include benefits from Tax Adjustments and Other Items of $2.8 million or $.06 per diluted share and $1.9 million or $.05 per diluted share, respectively.
Net income for the full-year 2012 was $137.3 million or $2.88 per diluted share, compared to net income of $110.8 million or $2.35 per diluted share in the prior year. The 2012 and 2011 results include benefits from Tax Adjustments and Other Items of $3.5 million or $.07 per diluted share and $15.8 million or $.34 per diluted share, respectively.
Details related to the Tax Adjustments and Other Items are provided in the attached Supplemental Information. Quarterly segment data, presented in the new segment and income statement format, is posted in the Investor Relations section of www.gatx.com.
Brian A. Kenney, president and chief executive officer of GATX, said, “The North American rail market remains strong due to unprecedented demand for tank cars. In 2012, we capitalized on the favorable market conditions by increasing lease rates while successfully stretching lease terms. In the fourth quarter, the renewal rate change of GATX’s Lease Price Index (“LPI”) was a positive 32.3% and the average renewal term for cars in the LPI was 65 months. On a full-year basis, the renewal rate change of the LPI was a positive 25.6% and the average renewal term was 60 months. Additionally, fleet utilization approximated 98% and our renewal success rate averaged over 80% for the year. We also used the strong market to optimize our fleet by selling railcars, generating improved asset remarketing income in Rail North America.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV