NEW YORK, Jan. 24, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Fixed mortgage rates increased following positive economic news, with the benchmark 30-year fixed mortgage rate rising to 3.66 percent this week, according to Bankrate.com's weekly national survey. The average 30-year fixed mortgage has an average of 0.35 discount and origination points.
To see mortgage rates in your area, go to http://www.bankrate.com/funnel/mortgages/.
The average 15-year fixed mortgage rate jumped to a 4-month high of 2.94 percent and the larger jumbo 30-year mortgage climbed to 4.08 percent. Adjustable rate mortgages were all over the map, with the 3-year ARM increasing to 2.96 percent, the 5-year ARM dropping to 2.71 percent and the 7-year ARM holding at 2.88 percent.The past week saw positive reports on housing starts and a drop in weekly unemployment claims, which coupled with good news on the corporate earnings front, powered mortgage rates higher. With the debt ceiling debate delayed, the most dire economic scenarios are alleviated for now, which should keep a floor under bond yields and mortgage rates at least until talk of government spending cuts heats up. Mortgage rates are closely related to yields on long-term government bonds. The last time mortgage rates were above 5 percent was Apr. 2011. At the time, the average 30-year fixed rate was 5.07 percent, meaning a $200,000 loan would have carried a monthly payment of $1,082.22. With the average rate now 3.66 percent, the monthly payment for the same size loan would be $916.05, a difference of $166 per month for anyone refinancing now. SURVEY RESULTS 30-year fixed: 3.66% -- up from 3.60% last week (avg. points: 0.35) 15-year fixed: 2.94% -- up from 2.89% last week (avg. points: 0.29)
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV