LOS ANGELES, Jan. 23, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Wilshire Bancorp, Inc. (Nasdaq:WIBC) (the "Company"), the holding company for Wilshire State Bank (the "Bank"), today reported net income available to common shareholders of $15.2 million, or $0.21 per diluted common share, for the quarter ended December 31, 2012. This compares to net income available to common shareholders of $5.8 million, or $0.08 per common share, for the same period of the prior year, and net income of $38.5 million, or $0.54 per common share, for the third quarter of 2012. The increase in net income from the fourth quarter of 2011 is primarily attributable to a $12.0 million negative provision for losses on loans and loan commitments. The decline in net income from the third quarter of 2012 is primarily attributable to the return to a normalized tax provision.
For the full year 2012, the Company reported net income available to common shareholders of $93.7 million, or $1.31 per diluted common share, compared with a net loss of $34.0 million, or ($0.61) per share, for the full year 2011.
Jae Whan (J.W.) Yoo, President and CEO of Wilshire Bancorp, said, "We ended 2012 with another strong quarter, which contributed to the most profitable year in the history of the Company. Our new business development efforts continue to gain momentum, as we had $264 million in loan originations during the fourth quarter, which represents our highest level of loan production in several years. At the same time, our credit quality continues to show strong improvement with non-covered non-accrual loans declining by 32% from the end of the prior quarter. This improvement reflects our effective management of problem assets, which is resulting in a steady migration of non-accrual loans back to accrual status and the continued pay-down of outstanding problem loans.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV