The 200-day moving average price for PEP shares is just below $70-a-share. That improves the yield to price to 3.07%. So I'm putting my buy-limit order in at around $69.80 for my strategy of buying PEP in increments, also known as "doubling-down" by some. I like to let the stock come to me, and I'm patient.
Both KO and PEP's soda sales are bubbling overseas, and KO is making money from last year's acquisition of coconut water brand Zico. KO also bought a stake in the U.S. dairy market by purchasing part of Core Power, a maker of a workout recovery shake.
Not to be left in the lurch, PEP's Naked Juice brand rose 25% last year. The Journal article also reported that PEP's "...tea and coffee sold through joint ventures with Lipton and Starbucks Starbucks (SBUX) are posting healthy growth."
At the risk of looking like I favor PEP over KO, let me show you the same one-year chart of PEP where I included a line for the direction of its cash from quarterly operations. You can draw your own conclusions. I've already drawn mine and won't be buying too many shares until after KO and PEP report earnings in February.PEP data by YCharts
At the time of publication the author had a position in KO and is waiting for his buy-limit price to buy PEP. Follow @m8a2r1 This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Jim Cramer's protege Dave Peltier finds you Stocks Under $10 picks with explosive upside potential. See what he's trading today with a 14-day FREE pass.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV