New England Journal Of Medicine Publishes Pivotal Trial Data For OMONTYS® (peginesatide) Injection For Treatment Of Anemia In Adult Chronic Kidney Disease Patients On Hemodialysis
About Anemia Due to CKD in Adult Patients on Dialysis
Anemia is a complication of CKD and is associated with cardiovascular illness and mortality. As of 2010, the United States Renal Data System noted there were more than 410,000 people in the United States who were on dialysis.
About OMONTYS ® (peginesatide) Injection
OMONTYS is a synthetic, pegylated ESA. It is the only ESA that is peptide-based and its building blocks (amino acids) are arranged in a different order than erythropoietin (i.e., it has no sequence homology to endogenous erythropoietin).On March 27, 2012, the United States Food and Drug Administration approved OMONTYS for the treatment of anemia due to CKD in adult patients on dialysis. The product is the first ESA to be marketed in the United States (U.S.) in over 10 years and is the only once-monthly ESA for anemia available to this patient population in the United States. IMPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION WARNING: ESAs INCREASE THE RISK OF DEATH, MYOCARDIAL INFARCTION, STROKE, VENOUS THROMBOEMBOLISM, THROMBOSIS OF VASCULAR ACCESS AND TUMOR PROGRESSION OR RECURRENCE. Chronic Kidney Disease:
- In controlled trials, patients experienced greater risks for death, serious adverse cardiovascular reactions, and stroke when administered erythropoiesis-stimulating agents (ESAs) to target a hemoglobin level of greater than 11 g/dL.
- No trial has identified a hemoglobin target level, ESA dose, or dosing strategy that does not increase these risks.
- Use the lowest OMONTYS dose sufficient to reduce the need for RBC transfusions.
- Using ESAs to target a hemoglobin level of greater than 11 g/dL increases the risk of serious adverse cardiovascular reactions and has not been shown to provide additional benefit. Use caution in patients with coexistent cardiovascular disease and stroke. Patients with CKD and an insufficient hemoglobin response to ESA therapy may be at even greater risk for cardiovascular reactions and mortality. A rate of hemoglobin rise of >1 g/dL over 2 weeks may contribute to these risks.
- In controlled clinical trials of ESAs in patients with cancer, increased risk for death and serious adverse cardiovascular reactions including myocardial infarction and stroke was observed.
- There is increased mortality and/or increased risk of tumor progression or recurrence in patients with cancer receiving ESAs.
- In controlled clinical trials of ESAs, ESAs increased the risk of death in patients undergoing coronary artery bypass graft surgery (CABG) and deep venous thrombosis (DVT) in patients undergoing orthopedic procedures.
- In 2 trials of OMONTYS, patients with CKD not on dialysis experienced increased specific cardiovascular events.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV