DineEquity, Inc., the parent company of iconic restaurant brands IHOP and Applebee’s, today announced a new policy that will eliminate the use of gestation crates from its pork supply chain for its more than 3,500 restaurants.
Kevin Mortesen, DineEquity’s Vice President, Communications, released the following statement about the company’s new policy:
DineEquity, and our franchisees who own and operate Applebee's and IHOP restaurants, are committed to ensuring our guests enjoy delicious meals featuring ingredients that are produced and sourced as responsibly and sustainably as possible. As part of that commitment, we hold our suppliers to the highest standards of quality and integrity. This includes practices regarding animal welfare, such as our previously announced pledge to increase the use of cage-free egg products.
Today, we are pleased to announce that DineEquity expects all of our vendors to phase out the practice known as “pig gestation crating.” By 2020, Applebee's and IHOP will only serve pork products that are produced without the use of gestation crates. We recognize there are challenges to meeting this goal, but as one of the world’s largest full-service restaurant companies, we are confident our suppliers will meet our expectations and work with us to achieve this objective.About DineEquity: Founded in 2007 and based in Glendale, California, DineEquity, Inc., through its subsidiaries, franchises and operates restaurants under the Applebee’s Neighborhood Grill & Bar and IHOP brands. With more than 3,500 restaurants combined in 18 countries, over 400 franchisees and approximately 250,000 team members (including franchisee- and company-operated restaurant employees), DineEquity is one of the world’s largest full-service restaurant companies. For more information on DineEquity, visit the company's web site at www.dineequity.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV