In the fourth quarter, Banner repurchased 43,375 shares of its senior preferred stock in private transactions at an average price of $991 per share and on December 24, 2012 redeemed the remaining 30,041 shares at a liquidation value of $1,000 per share. As a result, Banner realized gains of $401,000 on the repurchases, which partially offset accelerated accretion of the remaining portion of the initial discount recognized when the preferred shares were issued. In addition, the accrual for the quarterly dividend was reduced by the retirement of the repurchased shares. Including the preferred stock dividend, related accretion and gains on repurchases, net income available to common shareholders was $0.69 per diluted share for the fourth quarter of 2012, compared to $0.79 per diluted share in the third quarter of 2012 and $0.18 per diluted share in the fourth quarter a year ago. For the year ended December 31, 2012, net income available to common shareholders was $3.16 per diluted share compared to a net loss of $0.15 per diluted share in 2011.Fourth Quarter 2012 Highlights (compared to fourth quarter 2011 except as noted)
- Net income was $14.7 million, compared to $5.1 million in the fourth quarter a year ago.
- Revenues from core operations* increased 8% to $54.5 million.
- Net interest margin was 4.09%, compared to 4.22% in the preceding quarter and 4.07% in the fourth quarter a year ago.
- Deposit fees and other service charges increased 9%.
- Revenues from mortgage banking increased 136%.
- Non-performing assets decreased to $50.2 million, or 1.18% of total assets, at December 31, 2012, a 15% decrease compared to three months earlier and a 58% decrease compared to a year earlier.
- Non-performing loans decreased to $34.4 million at December 31, 2012, an 11% decrease compared to three months earlier and a 54% decrease compared to a year earlier.
- The ratio of tangible common equity to tangible assets increased to 11.80% at December 31, 2012.*
- Banner retired the remaining shares of its senior preferred stock.