Get Your Moving Expenses Deducted
The time test
To be eligible for the moving expenses tax deduction, you must also work full-time for an employer in the vicinity of your new job location for at least 39 weeks during the year following your move. It's important to note that these weeks do not have to be consecutive or with the same employer, so you are free to change jobs after you move. There are also exceptions for disability, death, involuntary separation, and other special situations. Additionally, if your employer transfers you or fires you after you move, the IRS will overlook the 39-week requirement.
Deductible moving expenses
With the moving expenses tax deduction, you are allowed to deduct the non-reimbursed cost of moving household goods and personal belongings to a new residence. This can include the cost of transportation, packing, unpacking, storage-in-transit, and valuation. Note that each qualified expense is limited to 30 days — for example, you can deduct the cost of renting a storage unit for up to 30 days (if you cannot move into your new home right after leaving your old residence).
Moving expenses that qualify for this tax deduction include the following:
• The cost of shipping automobiles and boats
• The cost of transporting household pets (including dogs, cats, tropical fish, etc.)
• The moving-related cost associated with connecting and disconnecting utilities
• The cost of moving personal belongings from a place other than your old residence (such as a summer home or relative's home), but not exceeding what it would have cost to move them from your old residence
• The cost of lodging (for you and other members of your household) while traveling to the new residence (but not the cost of meals)
• You moved to a location outside of the United States in a previous year.
• You are claiming only storage fees while you were away from the United States.
• Any amount your employer paid for the storage fees is included as “wages” in Box 1 of your IRS Tax Form W-2.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV