Get Your Moving Expenses Deducted
By Elizabeth Rosen of IRS.com
Moving to a new home involves a lot of planning and work, and it can be costly as well. If you are moving because you got a new job, or your current job changed location, you may be able to deduct your reasonable moving expenses on your income tax return.
Note: The moving expenses tax deduction is an “above-the-line” deduction, which means it is taken before your AGI (adjusted gross income) is calculated, instead of after like most other deductions. Above-the-line tax deductions are subtracted from your gross income and the resulting number is your AGI. Therefore, above-the-line deductions apply whether you itemize or not. Above-the-line deductions, like the moving expenses tax deduction, are designed to help protect your personal exemptions and itemized deductions from phaseouts. Because of these characteristics, above-the-line deductions are often considered to be the most beneficial for taxpayers.
Who can deduct moving expenses -- tests for eligibility
To be eligible to claim the moving expenses tax deduction, the IRS has 3 main requirements that you must meet:
• Your move is closely related to the start of work
• You meet the distance test
• You meet the time test.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV