The largest of these precious metals markets -- the gold market -- is still a relatively small commodities market. However, take away 90% of the "trading," which is just international bankers engaging in currency swaps, and the gold market becomes a tiny market as well.
In other words (in proportionate terms) we're not talking about these short positions being a mere order of magnitude larger than other short positions in the world of commodities (i.e., 10 times as large), but more like one hundred times larger than the average short positions of other commodities. Short positions that are blatantly criminal in nature.
At the end of the 1970's, the
By Ed Steer's best estimate, JPMorgan's (JPM) short position -- by itself -- now comprises half of the mammoth short position indicated on the previous chart. This massive, permanent concentration (on the short side) is significantly larger than the size of the crime committed by the Hunt Brothers.The feeble justification offered by JPMorgan is that it is "hedging" in the silver market. Right. After the price of silver had been driven to -- i.e., manipulated to -- a
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV