ATLANTA, Jan. 23, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Honoring natural resource conservation projects focused on protecting wetlands and streams in the Southeast is an annual tradition for Southern Company and other key supporters of the Five Star Restoration program.
The latest event, held this week at the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Region 4 headquarters in Atlanta, recognized community-based environmental stewardship projects in Alabama, Florida, Georgia and Mississippi. Southern Company is the Southern regional lead corporate sponsor for Five Star Restoration, a national program to support waterway-related conservation, in partnership with the National Fish and Wildlife Foundation (NFWF), EPA, the National Association of Counties and the Wildlife Habitat Council.
Since 2006, Southern Company has contributed $1.42 million to 67 Five Star Restoration grants for projects that will result in an on-the-ground conservation impact of more than $5.37 million to restore more than 540 acres of wetlands and more than 69,330 feet of riparian buffer."Five Star Restoration is a key component of Southern Company's environmental commitment and a visible way of making the communities we serve better off because we're there," said Chris Hobson, Southern Company chief environmental officer. "These results-oriented projects, backed by strong partnerships, are making a positive difference and are deserving of recognition." "In states across the Southeast, Five Star Restoration grants are helping to protect and restore our wetlands and shorelines," said Jeff Trandahl, executive director and CEO of NFWF. "The continued support of Southern Company and the engagement of our conservation partners have made an enormous impact on these vital wildlife habitats." "The groups being recognized have made tremendous strides to restore and protect waterways in communities all across the Southeast," said EPA Region 4 Administrator Gwen Keyes Fleming. "EPA is proud to continue supporting the Five Star Restoration program and we applaud each project's accomplishments." Tuesday's event featured projects that were awarded Five Star Restoration grants in 2011:
- Auburn University for the Restoring Stream Functions in Holland Creek project ( Alabama)
- The Marine Environmental Sciences Consortium for the Prichard Reading Park Stream Bank Restoration project ( Alabama)
- Pensacola Escambia Clean Community Commission for the Bayview Park Oyster Restoration project ( Florida)
- The Atlanta Botanical Garden Inc. for the Urban Habitat Restoration project ( Georgia)
- The Blue Heron Nature Preserve Inc. for the Blue Heron Nature Preserve Invasive Removal and Education project ( Georgia)
- The Crosby Arboretum Foundation for the Crosby Arboretum Swamp Forest Educational Exhibit ( Mississippi)
- Land Trust for the Coastal Mississippi Plain for the Old Fort Bayou Connection project ( Mississippi)
- The Piedmont Park Conservancy for the Wetland Restoration in Piedmont Park project ( Georgia)
- Ducks Unlimited Inc. for the Arrowhead Environmental Education Center Wetland Project ( Georgia)
- Trees Atlanta for the Trees Atlanta and BeltLine Clear Creek Restoration project ( Georgia)
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV