Aurizon Mines Rejects Offer From Alamos Gold
NEW YORK (AP) â¿¿ Aurizon Mines Ltd. said Wednesday it is recommending that shareholders reject a buyout offer from Alamos Gold Inc., a rival Canadian gold producer.
Aurizon said its board unanimously voted against the offer. It said Alamos' bid undervalues the company and suggested Alamos was trying to capitalize on a decline in the value of Aurizon shares.
"This is a financially inadequate and opportunistic offer, timed to take advantage of a transition year for Aurizon that we believe will be the foundation of long-term value creation for our shareholders," said board member George Brack. Brack led the committee that reviewed Alamos' offer. He said Aurizon is looking at other options and could discuss "alternative transactions" with other companies.
Alamos said on Jan. 14 that it had increased its stake in Aurizon to 16 percent from about 2 percent, and it offered to buy the company for 780 million Canadian dollars ($792 million) in cash and stock. U.S. shares of Aurizon had lost about 34 percent of their value over the previous year, falling to $3.46 from $5.27. In late December the stock reached a four-year low of $3.19.Aurizon shares have risen 37 percent since then. It was down a penny to $4.74 in afternoon trading.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV