Dash said technicals showed a return to a negative correlation in 2012 between gold and the U.S. dollar, and said that gold could sink fast if it dips below $1,645 an ounce anytime soon.
The Bank of Canada announced Wednesday that it would make no changes to key interest rates, and reported that it didn't believe the country's economy would reach full capacity until the second half of 2014. Gold investors may have been watching for any signs of inflation in the Canadian economy. The central bank said it expected inflation to trough at 0.9% in the first quarter of 2013, but move up to 2% by the third quarter of 2014.
The Bank of England's Monetary Policy Committee printed minutes of its January meeting, which showed consensus to keep rates low, but disagreement about the effectiveness of continued asset purchases.
The Federal Reserve expressed similar disagreement as to the effectiveness of its quantitative easing programs on the economy, but central bankers generally still believe the near-term benefits of monetary stimulus are necessary.Gold mining stocks were mostly lower on Wednesday. Shares of Kinross Gold (KGC) were losing 2.4%, and shares of NovaGold Resources (GFI) were off 2.5% Among volume leaders, Barrick Gold (ABX) and Newmont Mining (NEM) were slipping 1.2% Gold ETFs were trading at high volumes as SPDR Gold Trust (GLD) was decreasing 0.31%, and iShares Gold Trust (IAU) was sliding 0.33%. -- Written by Joe Deaux in New York. >Contact by Email. Follow @JoeDeaux
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV