The AnandTech Web site reports that Intel plans to end production of PC motherboards by the end of this year and ramp down that division's operations business over the next three years.
Intel will end research and production of new PC motherboards soon after the introduction of its upcoming "Haswell" design this year, according to the report. The Haswell boards, as well as all the other motherboards that Intel produces, will come with a full warranty.
Intel will continue designing and producing what it calls "Form Factor Reference Designs" (FFRDs) best known as the boards that go into new, lightweight, Ultrabooks that are currently being made by a number of manufacturers. Ultrabooks are the PC world's answer to Apple's (AAPL) Air notebook. FFRDs are also used in tablets computers,Intel is also planning to continue producing desktop PC processors for third-party motherboard manufacturers such as Asus and Gigabite. The report goes on to say that Intel plans no layoffs due to the closure. The No.1 chip maker will shift its PC motherboard employees into jobs in other company divisions. Intel has not yet responded to TheStreet's request for comment on this story. --Written by Gary Krakow in New York. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV