Hawaii Governor Wants To Increase Minimum Wage
By ANITA HOFSCHNEIDER
HONOLULU (AP) â¿¿ Hawaii Gov. Neil Abercrombie wants to increase the minimum wage from $7.25 to $8.75.
During the State of the State address on Tuesday, the Democrat said he hopes the $1.50 increase will go into effect next year.
"If you take off the ideological blinders you'll see that raising the minimum wage is an advantageous step in increasing retail activity and pumping dollars back into the economy," he said in a news conference after the address.The governor said Hawaii hasn't increased its minimum wage in six years and there are 19 states with higher minimum wages than Hawaii. Also, the state's wages haven't kept up with the rising cost of living, he said. House Speaker Joseph Souki agreed, saying that raising the rate by a dollar â¿¿to $8.25 an hour â¿¿ wouldn't be enough to cover the high cost of rent in Hawaii. Any minimum wage proposal should consider the impact on small businesses, Senate President Donna Kim said. The last thing the Legislature wants to do is cause greater unemployment by increasing labor costs, she said. "We have to find balance," she said. "How much more can the businesses afford?" The Legislature should also take into account the tax burdens on small businesses. The minimum wage proposal is going to require extensive analysis and input from the business community, House Minority Leader Aaron Ling Johanson said. Hawaii representatives have already introduced two bills to raise the state minimum wage. One bill raises the minimum wage to $8.75 by July 2014. The bill adjusts wages after June 2015 based on the consumer price index. The second proposal raises the minimum wage to $7.75 in six months. The bill adjusts wages based on the consumer price index starting in January 2014.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV