BALTIMORE (Stockpickr) -- Who doesn't like cash? Apparently the answer is "investors." With the S&P 500 up almost 5% in the first month of 2013, investors are too focused on capital gains to think about cash in their portfolios.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating going to cash in your 401k. In fact, I've been pretty bullish for the past six months or so. Instead, I'm suggesting that you look at the cash-rich stocks that are presenting themselves to investors in this market.
Capital gains are great, but historically speaking, the majority of portfolio growth comes from other sources. Dividends, share buybacks and debt repurchases all inject value directly into your shares, and on a year-to-year basis, they also account for around 50% of annual stock performance. But only companies with cash that have the wherewithal to boost those payouts on command.Plus, cash is a big deal because it's easy to value. While a nuclear power plant or a tire factory may have market values that fall in a wide range depending on the analyst crunching the numbers, a firm's checking account is pretty easy to get a handle on. And when that cash balance starts to balloon, it effectively provides a massive discount for shares. >>5 Rocket Stocks to Buy for a Q1 Rally In short, cash provides options. Firms with cash can opt to increase shareholder value by paying a dividend or initiating a share buyback. Plus, they have the ability to take advantage of pricey M&A opportunities and internal investments. Firms without cash can't. Today, we'll focus in on five firms that carry large cash and investment balances for investors. >>5 Stocks Ready to Break Out
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV