JUNO BEACH, Fla., Jan. 23, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Forty-three teachers across the state of Florida are recipients of a combined $47,000 in grants from Florida Power & Light Company's 2013 Teacher Grant program to support innovative, teacher-designed classroom projects. The projects aim to teach students about energy, its sources, and uses.
Teachers from more than 40 schools received grants ranging from $500 to $2,500 to fund projects including wind turbine generators, solar car and golf cart races, and cooking with the power of the sun. All projects adhere to the Florida State Board of Education's Sunshine State Standards. Teachers submitted proposals to be judged and selected according to stated goals, energy curriculum content, creativity, and plans for budget and evaluation. Completed projects may be featured on FPL's Solar Station website at www.FPL.com/solarstations.
"FPL has consistently demonstrated a commitment to clean energy in the community, and we're thrilled to partner with Florida's teachers to bring exciting, innovative projects into the classroom to get their students inspired to help us lead the way to tomorrow's clean energy world," said Pam Rauch, vice president of Development and External Affairs for FPL.FPL's Teacher Grant Program has cumulatively awarded more than $175,000 to 175 teachers across FPL's 35-county service territory over the past four years. The grants are provided courtesy of the NextEra Energy Foundation, which is funded by shareholders of FPL's parent company, NextEra Energy, Inc., the nation's largest producer of renewable energy from the wind and the sun. Recipients are selected by the National Education Energy Development project (NEED), a nonprofit organization working with energy companies and agencies to bring balanced energy curriculum and training to the nation's classrooms.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV