MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif., Jan. 23, 2013 /PRNewswire/ --
- Oticon uses Synopsys' low power solution to design its most power-efficient hearing aid DSP IC
- Several advanced low power techniques, Synopsys Embedded Memories and Standard Cells used to meet 400 microwatt budget
- Oticon improved designer productivity with Synopsys' Lynx Design System
Synopsys, Inc. (Nasdaq:SNPS), a global leader providing software, IP and services used to accelerate innovation in chips and electronic systems, today announced that Oticon has standardized on Synopsys' Galaxy ™ Implementation Platform and Lynx Design System for low power implementation. The advanced capabilities and extensive support for IEEE-1801 Unified Power Format (UPF) in the Synopsys ® solution enabled Oticon to meet an aggressive 400 microwatt power budget while operating well below one volt for its next-generation multi-core DSP-based IC.
"Using Synopsys' low power implementation solution and Lynx Design System enabled us to deploy advanced techniques such as multi-voltage and low Vdd for low power designs," said Mogens Balsby, senior director of silicon engines at Oticon. "With the combination of tools and Lynx, we were able to customize the flow, target a new technology node, move to production and tape out in eight months to stay ahead of the project schedule."Overcoming Low Power ChallengesOticon had to overcome design challenges including:
- Stringent Power Budgets: The design supply voltage is set to a lower voltage than typical portable applications, adding an additional level of complexity. Ensuring consistent, safe operation with long battery life is a key aspect of portable medical devices such as a hearing aid.
- Multi-Scenario Implementation and Analysis: Signoff closure required concurrent optimization across more than 200 multi-corner, multi-mode (MCMM) scenarios.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts