Perhaps it's beginning to sink in that Gannett is more than just a newspaper company, owning 23 TV stations in 15 states and the District of Columbia that reach 21 million households, or about 18% of US population. The company also has digital unit that includes CareerBuilder and 120 web sites that are associated with local publishing and television markets. Last quarter, the broadcasting and digital segments accounted for 32% of total company revenue, but more than 68% of operating income.
Clearly, there's more to Gannett than paper and ink.
This may never again be a $90 stock, but the recovery has been compelling.
This is a great example of the potential benefits of buying what no one else wants to own, and ultimately reaping the benefits. Of course, it does not always work out that way, and you've got to do your homework first. Sometimes investors shun companies for good reasons. The true art is determining when the crowd is wrong. It's not easy, and takes patience, nerve, and the ability to sometimes take a beating.At the time of publication, the author was long GCI. Follow @JonMHellerCFA This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV