As it stands, there is no science backing Star's claims that anatabine reduces inflammation, relieves pain or treats Alzheimer's, thyroid disease, multiple sclerosis, traumatic brain injury or other auto-immune diseases
Anatabine is not FDA approved for anything, but thanks to lax rules and generous loopholes, Star is able to sell the nutritional supplement over the Internet and at GNC retail outlets. What Star hasn't been able to do is convince people to buy anatabine. Sales are minimal, totaling just $1.7 million in the last reported quarter.
Which is where the Johns Hopkins connection comes into play. Star wants investors and the general public to believe anatabine is a drug capable of curing all sorts of diseases. The marketing message is simple: If Johns Hopkins believes in anatabine, you should too.
Internet stock promoter Dr. John Faessel (he's a dentist) embraces Star's misleading marketing message and runs with it. In two columns posted recently on Seeking Alpha -- both bullish on Star Scientific -- Faessel refers repeatedly to the "successful Rock Creek/Johns Hopkins human trials of anatabine."Wrong. Johns Hopkins had no involvement in the anatabine trial. Gilford Securities analyst Otis Bradley also plays along with the deception. In a recent research note, Bradley writes, "The
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV