Campbell Soup Company (NYSE:CPB) has been named to the Global 100 Most Sustainable Corporations in the World in a ranking by Corporate Knights, a media and investment research company. Campbell is one of ten U.S. companies, and the only U.S. food and beverage company, to make the Global 100. The Global 100 drew companies from 22 countries on six continents and inclusion in the top 100 puts the company in the top 2.5 percent of the 4000 evaluated.
"The Global 100 recognizes how Campbell integrates corporate responsibility into business strategy,” said Dave Stangis, Campbell's Vice President, Public Affairs and Corporate Responsibility. “We continue to strengthen our long-term commitment to creating value for our business and society as a sustainable and socially responsible company.”
Corporate Knights ranks the Global 100 using a two-step methodology, selecting companies on information such as sustainability disclosure practices, financial health and product types, then scoring them by sector-specific key performance indicators primarily related to energy, water, waste metrics and community engagement. Key Campbell initiatives include:
- Sustainability investments across Campbell’s plant network over the past four years that have yielded savings of more than $42.5 million.
- A reduction in water use by more than 3 billion gallons, and energy savings resulting in the elimination of more than 280,000 metric tonnes of greenhouse gas emissions, since 2009, resulting in ongoing annual savings of more than $2.5 million.
- The construction of a 60 acre, 10 mega-watt solar field at Campbell’s largest manufacturing site where 24,000 sun-tracking panels generate 15 percent of the electricity to operate the plant, and a partnership to create a biogas power plant at the same site to generate renewable electricity from waste generated from product production.
- The redesign of plastic product packaging that saved more than 1.2 million pounds of plastic in fiscal 2012.
- The distribution of more than $40 million in product donations globally and sales of $3.9 billion of products with improved nutrient profiles.
- The start of a 10 year, $10 million Campbell Healthy Communities program to reduce the rate of childhood obesity and hunger, and the donation of more than 23,000 volunteer hours in the U.S. and Canada to support local Campbell communities.
Campbell’s Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) strategies are intended to make positive impacts in four key areas: Our Consumers, Our Planet, Our Employees and Our Community. To learn more visit www.campbellsoupcompany.com/csr.For full Global 100 rankings and other details, please see: http://www.global100.org or www.corporateknights.com/global100. About Campbell Soup Company Campbell Soup Company is a manufacturer and marketer of high-quality foods and simple meals, including soup and sauces, baked snacks and healthy beverages. Founded in 1869, the company has a portfolio of market-leading brands, including "Campbell's," "Pepperidge Farm," "Arnott's," "V8" and "Bolthouse Farms." Through its corporate social responsibility program, the company strives to make a positive impact in the workplace, in the marketplace and in the communities in which it operates. Campbell is a member of the Standard & Poor's 500 and the Dow Jones Sustainability Indexes. For more information, visit www.campbellsoup.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV