NEW YORK, January 23, 2013 /PRNewswire/ --
Biogen Idec Inc. (NASDAQ:BIIB) [ Full Research Report]  and Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc. (NASDAQ:KERX) [ Free Research Report] [ 2 ] both announced that marketing approvals are underway for their respective treatments, recombinant factor IX Fc fusion protein (rFIXFC) and Zerenex. Biogen's rFIXFC is the first product candidate in a new class of long-lasting clotting factor therapy for the treatment of hemophilia B. Keryx' Zerenex (ferric citrate) is an oral, iron-based compound for the treatment of kidney disease.
After separate disappointing news from Biogen and Keryx regarding the failure of their previous drug treatments for ALS and colorectal cancer, their good news this year are expected to push their sales and trading volumes to record-highs. Analysts are bullish that both companies can rake in significant revenues to brighten the shine of the lackluster biopharmaceutical industry. The probability of success is still not solid for Biogen or Keryx, but the positive outlook towards sales forecasts and stock advances for each company remains strong. Until the FDA green lights the marketing of both drugs can everyone be certain of a new reason to celebrate.
The huge factor which clouds the issue of size is the bull inflection which analysts and investors stood by during the toughest of times. Despite the huge risk when it comes to research and development, neither Biogen nor Keryx is at risk of suffering a tragic downfall. For instance, the risk of Keryx in going bankrupt is surprisingly close to none compared to its risk of getting disappointing results from phase 3 trials. It seems too hard to believe, but the development stage company actually gets royalty payments from its Japanese partner, JT Torii, every time it climbs a notch up the ladder. This is a good way for the company to cope with its run rate.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV