NEW YORK, January 23, 2013 /PRNewswire/ --
The office supply industry has been hit by underachieving domestic sales and a steep demand drop in international markets, specifically Europe. Segment leader Staples, Inc.'s (NASDAQ:SPLS) [ Full Research Report]  stock price has fallen 30 percent since peaking in early last year and close competitor Office Depot (NYSE:ODP) [ Full Research Report] [ 2 ] is looking to maintain relevance as margins press further.
Staples is trying to bounce back with two debt deals, the repurchasing of up to $750 million of its only outstanding bond and new bond offerings with proceeds going towards the original bond repurchase alongside other expenses. These instruments will be replacing the company's existing debt of $119 million in short-term debt and $1.542 billion in long-term debt. According to a Motley Fool report, the new debts will be incurring much less interest payments, saving Staples as much as $73.125 million in annual interest payments. Many analysts continue to support a "buy" rating, albeit in the short-term, given how these measures could help Staples grow its net.
On the other hand, Office Depot may not be as fortunate as its segment leader. It may have been bullish as of late, but increased competition and lackluster sales could cause the company to considering merging with another competitor, OfficeMax.A Motley Fool report says Office Depot cannot compete with Staples in pricing and in distribution, and while it is cutting costs and closing stores, it is unlikely that the company can turn around. The company had previously posted losses in the second quarter, and its sales are declining at a higher rate than Staples'.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV