Retail investors decide what percentage of their portfolios to allocate to any given stock. If Seagate (STX) is growing relative to your other holdings because it's trending faster than the rest of your portfolio, you don't have to rebalance unless you want to. It's not an excuse to be reckless, but flexibility and quickness are key advantages.
Timing is maybe the greatest edge the average investor has over large fund managers. Retail investors can pick and choose the time frame for any given position. For example, in
Most funds can't micro-time entries, exits, and reversals to the degree retail investors can. Timing not only includes buying and selling, but also sitting on your hands.
Sometimes fund managers would just as soon stand fast, but they have to allocate money as capital comes in. An investor can add money to his account and hold it as cash while waiting for the right time to enter. The choice to say "no" or do nothing can be powerful, and an investor discounts it at her peril.I believe the time is now to start/add Apple, but not everyone agrees. The Street's Rocco Pendola makes a valid point on
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV