"After our thorough evaluation of the CMO portfolio, including the substantial level of prepayments received in recent months as well as those expected to continue for the foreseeable future, we recorded an adjustment of $16 million to accelerate the premium amortization," said Mr. Norwood. "With this adjustment, the remaining premium has been reduced to $74 million, or 1.6% of par at December 31, 2012, significantly reducing potential future volatility in our CMO yields."
At December 31, 2012, the allowance for loan losses was $162.5 million, compared to $149.9 million at September 30, 2012. Information for both the originated and acquired portfolios follows.
|Q4 2012||Q3 2012|
|$ in millions||Originated||Acquired||Total||Originated||Acquired||Total|
|Provision for loan losses*||$ 21.3||$ 0.2||$ 21.5||$ 21.4||$ 0.4||$ 21.8|
|NCOs/ Avg Loans||0.24%||0.08%||0.18%||0.30%||0.06%||0.21%|
|Total loans**||$ 13,372||$ 6,514||$ 19,710||$ 12,233||$ 7,086||$ 19,106|
|(*) Excludes provision for unfunded commitments of $0.5 million and $0.4 million in 4Q12 and 3Q12, respectively|
|(**) Acquired loans before associated credit discount; see accompanying tables for further information|
Originated loansThe provision for loan losses on originated loans totaled $21.3 million, unchanged from the prior quarter. This provision included $13.7 million to support sequential originated loan growth of $1.1 billion and $7.6 million to cover net charge-offs. Net charge-offs equaled 24 basis points of average originated loans in the fourth quarter of 2012, a six basis points improvement from the prior quarter.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV