Cree, Inc. (Nasdaq: CREE), a market leader in LED lighting, today announced revenue of $346.3 million for its second quarter of fiscal 2013, ended December 30, 2012. This represents a 14% increase compared to revenue of $304.1 million reported for the second quarter of fiscal 2012 and a 10% increase compared to the first quarter of fiscal 2013. GAAP net income for the second quarter was $20.4 million, or $0.18 per diluted share, an increase of 69% year-over-year compared to GAAP net income of $12.1 million, or $0.10 per diluted share, for the second quarter of fiscal 2012. On a non-GAAP basis, net income for the second quarter of fiscal 2013 was $36.9 million, or $0.32 per diluted share, an increase of 29% year-over-year compared to non-GAAP net income for the second quarter of fiscal 2012 of $28.7 million, or $0.25 per diluted share.
“Fiscal Q2 was another strong quarter with record revenue and earnings per share that were higher than our target range due to stronger sales in both LEDs and Lighting combined with improved gross margins,” stated Chuck Swoboda, Cree Chairman and CEO. “Overall company backlog is in line with seasonal trends for our fiscal Q3. Longer term, we remain focused on driving adoption through innovation, and with our broad understanding of the technology levers from materials through systems, we see opportunities to move the market even faster than what has been experienced to date.”
Q2 2013 Financial Metrics
(in thousands, except per share amounts and percentages)
|Earnings per diluted share||$||0.18||$||0.10||$||0.08||80||%|
|Earnings per diluted share||$||0.32||$||0.25||$||0.07||28||%|
- Gross margin increased 170 basis points from Q1 of fiscal 2013 to 38.5% on a GAAP basis and increased 170 basis points to 39.2% on a non-GAAP basis.
- Cash and investments increased $69.5 million from Q1 of fiscal 2013 to $885.8 million.
- Accounts receivable (net) decreased $17.7 million from Q1 of fiscal 2013 to $144.6 million, with days sales outstanding of 38.
- Inventory increased $5.3 million from Q1 of fiscal 2013 to $185.0 million, with days of inventory declining to 78 days.
- Achieved an LED industry milestone with the release of our 200 lumen-per-watt XLamp ® MK-R LED;
- Announced our revolutionary new LM16 LED replacement lamp to obsolete energy-wasting halogen MR16 lamps;
- Introduced the XLamp XM-L2 LEDs, the industry's brightest, highest-performing single-die LEDs delivering 186 lumens per watt;
- Announced that more than 130 locations of convenience restaurant chain Sheetz, Inc. now feature state-of-the-art LED lighting by Cree;
- Released the industry's first fully qualified, production-ready, all SiC power module.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV