Software firm VMWare (VMW) is one of the industry's biggest vendors for virtualization solutions that help to wring more utility out of computer servers. The firm's tools are used to transform a single physical PC into multiple virtual machines, enabling data centers to offer more hosts without shelling out (or finding space) for new physical servers. With the demand for cloud services that we've seen in the last several years, that's a good side of the trend to be on.
VMWare has been courting desktop users more recently too. With a big installed base and a reputation for being a reputable IT infrastructure software provider, the firm has some big advantages in trying to grab share from other virtual desktop software platforms. Even though the popularity of cloud computing has led to some ramped up competition for VMW's business, the firm hasn't ceded its leadership role to new comers so far.Financially, VMWare is in stellar shape, with $4.4 billion in cash offsetting a paltry $450 million debt load. If management can push away any urges to overpay on acquisitions, that cash position should come in handy at adding onto shareholder returns in 2013.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV