Last up on our list of toxic-looking names is Regeneron Pharmaceuticals (REGN), a stock that's currently forming a classic double top pattern in shares.
A double-top pattern is formed by two swing highs that come in at approximately the same price level. They're separated by a swing low that's the breakdown level for the pattern - a move below that low triggers the sell signal in shares. For REGN, that sell signal comes on a move below $165.
As a shareholder, it's important to remember that it doesn't matter why selling pressure is coming into this stock right now -- the two tops on this chart show us that it is. Now, it's just a question of whether that newly introduced selling pressure can overcome the holdout buyers sitting below that $165 level. If they do (with a breakdown), then it's time to exit this stock -- or even bet against it.If you decide to take the short-side, I'd recommend keeping a stop on the other side of the 50-day moving average. To see this week's trades in action, check out the Technical Setups for the Week portfolio on Stockpickr.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV