I realize it doesn't sound like that much of a stretch to call an airline stock toxic. But discount European carrier Ryanair Holdings (RYAAY) is just now starting to show some technical weakness. Investors could get their first distinct sell (or short) signal in Ryanair this week.
Like BHP Billiton, Ryanair has been a strong performer for the last couple quarters - shares of the $11 billion carrier have climbed by more than 32% in those last six months. But Ryanair is showing weakness thanks to a rounding top in shares. Like the name implies, a rounding top looks like an upside down parabola in a stock's price action. It represents a gradual shift of power from buyers to sellers. In Ryanair's case, the pattern triggers on a move down through $38.
Momentum is important on this stock as well: RSI had show RYAAY in overbought territory as the calendar flipped over to 2013. Contrary to popular belief, an overbought reading in momentum isn't a bearish signal in and of itself (overbought stocks statistically tend to go even more overbought in the short-term), but the fact that momentum is rolling over simultaneously is bearish. I'd be looking to take gains on a slip below $38.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV