First up is Amgen (AMGN), the $63 billion biopharmaceutical stock. For the last few weeks, Amgen had been looking bullish -- until shares broke down below support, that is. A failed bullish pattern is generally worse than an outright bearish pattern, and AMGN has been proving that point with its price action for the last few trading sessions.
Amgen had been forming a an ascending triangle pattern, a bullish setup that's formed by horizontal resistance to the upside at $90 and uptrending support below shares. Ultimately, the selling pressure at support proved stronger than buyers had figured, and when bids disappeared at that support line, this stock went into freefall. In a big way, AMGN is a cautionary tale of why it's critical to wait for a breakout to actually happen before jumping onboard a breakout trade.
Now AMGN looks likely to resolve further to the downside. Investors looking for an exit should sell now before January 23 earnings hit - while they could put shares back on track, the headline risk coupled with a bearish chart make it too much of a gamble...
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV