Due to the below-freezing temperatures and wind chills, Aqua Pennsylvania, Inc. (Aqua) is providing tips to its customers to help them avoid frozen and broken water pipes in their homes.
Aqua says that customers should use the following tips in unheated areas of their homes when temperatures drop below freezing.
- Wrap pipes with insulation material or heat tape. Wrap indoor water meters with a blanket. Proper use of portable space heaters can also keep exposed pipes in drafty areas from freezing.
- For interior plumbing located on an outside wall such as a kitchen sink, install heat tape to the pipes beneath the sink. If no small children are in the house, open cabinet doors beneath the sink to allow the warm air in the home to reach the pipes.
- Make sure the lids on outdoor meter pits are not broken or missing.
- Shut off and drain any outside faucets including those for lawn sprinkling systems.
- When temperatures remain near 10°F, customers might want to leave a very thin stream of water running continuously from at least one tap—preferably the one farthest from the meter. The additional cost of the water is cheaper than the cost of repairing ruptured pipes.
- If a customer can locate the frozen area, use a hand-held hair dryer (blow dryer) or heat tape to thaw the area.
Aqua advises that every customer should know where their master valve is so that they can turn off the water to their home in case a pipe breaks inside their home.
Aqua Pennsylvania serves approximately 1.4 million residents in 30 counties throughout the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.WTRG EDITOR’S NOTE: Aqua is prepared to do a weatherization “show and tell” of how to prevent frozen pipes inside of a home in certain areas of its service territory. The demonstration would include the proper use of pipe insulation, heat tape, blankets, how to locate the master valve, etc. Any reporter or photographer who is interested in a weatherization show and tell should contact Donna Alston at 610.645.1095 to determine if it is available in their area.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV