Don't Miss Upcoming W-2 & 1099 Deadlines: Greatland Discusses Penalties And Fines To Avoid In 2013
GRAND RAPIDS, Mich., Jan. 22, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Are you in the middle of issuing your business' W-2 and 1099 forms for 2012? Most people understand that there are penalties for missing a deadline, or worse still, not issuing the forms at all, but many aren't aware of how pricey a little procrastination can be.
According to Greatland Corporation, a provider of W-2 and 1099 products and services for business, the IRS has continued to monitor W-2 and 1099 returns to ensure accuracy and compliance, and is strictly enforcing the penalties it applies to those who don't comply with tax requirements.
"Many 1099 and W-2 reporting penalties have doubled or tripled in the past couple years, so it is more important than ever for businesses to ensure that all wage and income filings are completed accurately and submitted on time," said Bob Nault, Greatland's CEO. "This can be challenging, given that the volume of 1099 reporting for companies has increased, and we've seen our customers under more pressure to complete their reporting correctly and on time."
Congress made the following increases to information return (W-2 and 1099) filing penalties in 2011 and they continue to apply today:
- The penalty for failing to file accurate information returns is $100 per return
- The maximum failure-to-file penalty is $1.5 million
- If corrected returns are filed within 30 days, the penalty is $30 per return
- The maximum penalty for organizations that issue corrections within 30 days is $250,000
- The penalty for filing corrections more than 30 days after the due date, but before Aug. 1, is $60 per return
- The maximum penalty for organizations that issue corrections more than 30 days past the due date, but before Aug. 1, is $500,000
- The maximum failure-to-file penalty is $500,000
- The maximum penalty for organizations that issue corrections within 30 days is $75,000
- The maximum penalty for organizations that issue corrections more than 30 days past the due date, but before Aug. 1, is $200,000
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts