Astellas' New Headquarters For The Americas Awarded LEED Gold Certification
NORTHBROOK, Ill., Jan. 22, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Astellas Pharma US, Inc. today announced that its new headquarters for the Americas, located at the northwest corner of I-294 and Willow Road in Northbrook, has been awarded LEED Gold certification by the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC). LEED, which stands for Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design, is one of the primary rating systems for the design, construction and operation of energy-efficient buildings. A Gold certification is achieved by buildings that are designed and constructed with sustainable concepts and practices that substantially reduce the building's impact on the environment as compared to other, similar facilities.
"Today is an extremely proud day for Astellas in achieving LEED Gold certification at our new headquarters for the Americas, which we've worked toward since we broke ground in 2010. This honor further demonstrates our commitment to the environment, the local community, and as an employer of choice to our employees," said Collette Taylor, Astellas, Senior Vice President Human Resources & Corporate Administration of Astellas and headquarters project manager. "With energy costs and carbon emissions on the rise, we're thrilled that we invested in green building at our new facility in Northbrook, Illinois."
The Northbrook complex obtained LEED Gold certification for its environmentally-conscious construction, including:
- Hybrid geothermal field, which uses the earth as a heat source in the winter or heat sink in the summer, to reduce energy costs more than 20 percent
- Use of more than 77 percent of wood from managed forests certified by the Forest Stewardship Council
- Use of 35 percent recycled materials, use of 45 percent locally-manufactured materials and the recycling of more than 85 percent of waste during construction
- Improved indoor air quality with building flush-out using outdoor air to remove the majority of pollutant emissions
- Providing outdoor air more than 30 percent above the mandated standard
- Use of high-efficiency heat and air-conditioning equipment and plumbing fixtures to reduce water consumption
- Indoor secured bicycle storage and showering facilities
- More than 70 percent of the facility's parking under cover to reduce heat island
- Landscape irrigation from retained storm water
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts