SANTA MONICA, Calif., Jan. 22, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- The verdict is in and Lionsgate (NYSE: LGF), a leading global entertainment company, announced today that the home entertainment release of DREDD claimed the number one spot on the DVD sell-through and Blu-ray charts with 650,000 units sold, making it the best-selling new release title of the year. Blu-ray units accounted for nearly 50% of week 1 POS at retail. In addition, the critically acclaimed thriller, starring Karl Urban ( Star Trek) as the titular character Judge Dredd, was the top film download for the week, outpacing all other titles in digital sales as well.
Adapted by Alex Garland from John Wagner and Carlos Ezquerra's legendary comic book and released in a stunning 3-D Blu-ray, DREDD adds to Lionsgate's long history of theatrical titles that have overconverted their box office performance on Blu-ray, DVD and digital. Lionsgate continues to lead the industry in DVD-to-box office conversion rates.
Hailed by audiences and critics alike, the post-apocalyptic thriller also stars Olivia Thirlby ( Juno) and Lena Headey (HBO's "Game Of Thrones"). Blending pulse-pounding action with mesmerizing visual effects sequences, the sci-fi thriller directed by Pete Travis ( Vantage Point) takes place in a vast, violent metropolis where criminals rule the chaotic streets. The only force of order lies with the urban cops called "Judges" who possess the combined powers of judge, jury and instant executioner. The Blu-ray Disc and DVD both contain multiple behind-the-scenes featurettes including a look back at the 35 years of Judge Dredd.With a highly competitive landscape during its theatrical debut, the thriller's powerful home entertainment success underscores the importance of the market, allowing entertainment enthusiasts to enjoy their favorite films in a multitude of formats.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV