RIM, Facebook, Sirius, Verizon: Tech Premarket
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Research In Motion (RIMM) shares climbed 7.13% to $16.97 before market open on Tuesday, after CEO Thorsten Heins told German newspaper Die Welt that he may license the BlackBerry OS to other manufacturers.
Heins has "not ruled out" licensing the forthcoming operating system to the company's rivals, according to a translation of the interview obtained by TechCrunch.
RIM will unveil its BlackBerry 10 technology on Jan. 30.
The embattled Canadian handset maker was also the most active premarket tech stock on share volume of 1,803,260.Facebook (FB) was another gainer in premarket trading, rising 0.74% to $29.88, while Sirius XM (SIRI) gained 0.32% to reach $3.17. Google (GOOG), which reports its fourth-quarter results after market close, rose 0.53% to $708.25. Tech bellwether IBM (IBM), also on deck to report its fourth-quarter results, dipped 0.14% to $194.2. Verizon (VZ) was a laggard, tumbling 1.41% to $41.94 after reporting a widening fourth-quarter loss before market open. Rival AT&T (T) was another loser, slipping 0.87% to $33.15. AT&T announced last week that it will take a $10 billion fourth-quarter charge related to its pension and benefit plans, when it reports its results on Thursday. Shares of Apple (AAPL), which reports its fiscal first-quarter results on Wednesday, crept up 0.05% to $500.24 in premarket trading. TheStreet will be live-blogging Apple's earnings announcement, starting at 3:45 p.m. EST on Jan. 23: --Written by James Rogers in New York. Follow @jamesjrogers >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV